Thursday, June 14, 2007

What's right with your world...

The theme for this year's arts conference is "Hallelujah, what's right with the world." The first speaker on Wednesday morning was Dewitt Jones, you have probably seen some of his photography before. He has worked with National Geographic for twenty years and won numerous awards for his work. Some of the pictures he has taken are able to conjure up a wide range of emotions from the viewer; it is amazing what his eye can see from the ordinary.

His main point that he shared was how do we fall in love with the world? When we are in love with someone or something we have a longing, a passion to be with him, her or it. I love to be working with technology; basically any free moment I have will probably be centered around doing something with circuits, wire and electricity. How am I able to turn my love for technology and electronics into good? How can I better the world with my passion? Also, with that question, if we are doing something, or work somewhere that we don't like, what emotion will we share with others, most likely it will be one of frustration or regret.

To fall in love with the world we need to be doing what God wired us to do. The world would not be right if my wife, Megan, did not paint and make things beautiful. That is one of her ways of making things right. When we are in a place where we are able to do what we love we are able to walk around with a "Full glass." It is when we wake up with a positive attitude about the world that the ordinary becomes the extra-ordinary.

So my question is what is it that you are doing to make thing right in the world? Are you in a position that you are making things good again? Have you found that thing that God made you to do and can see the world with new eyes.

I can't imagine being any other place than LCBC right now. It is what God ordained for Megan and myself. I admit that I struggle seeing the extra-ordinary in my day regularly. But, I am so glad that I am in a place where my avocation is also my vocation.

He are few snap shots from the conference so far: (I forgot our camera so I had to spin my laptop aroudn and use the iSight.)


(Main stage)


(The 7500 seat auditorium)


(The IMAG suite: Amazing)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean...
Great comments.

So my question is, what role does one's community have in helping us make the right contributions? I might suggest that the reason you feel in the right spot at LCBC is because you do life with a community that affirms and also shapes your contributions.

How do we make sure our creativity/connection does not degenerate into americanized individualism?

just thinking...
peace-
s