Monday, January 7, 2008

Grandpa

So I just got a cool email from my Dad. It had a news article attached to it from 1941.
The article is about my Grandpa and his Army days. Basically, when my Grandpa McDermott was 14 he enlisted in the Army! 14! Then at the age of 16 he was promoted to Sergent. He was the youngest Sergent in military history!

It is cool learning about him and his history! I had ten great years with him and one of the things I remembered most was his passion in worship! He would sing his lungs out. There are times even now during worship that I can hear his voice singing along with the rest of the church!

Also the man was blind as a bat! He wore these special thick glasses that could flip up over his head and one day he fell asleep on a park bench and the sun burnt his scalp because his glasses were so think!

Here is the article:

3 comments:

adam hann said...

That is some thick glasses, to burn a forehead.

Zackery David said...

That is incredible! I couldn't imagine enlisting at the age of 14. Did your Grandpa ever return to service? Or was his discharge at the age of 17 the end of his military career? Sweet post buddy.

m&p said...

I'm with Zack on this comment, what did happen to your Grandpa's military service?

the Jr/Sr "prom" my senior year at TFC was to the theme of "the greatest generation ever." It was really cool looking at this generation and what they did to make America what it is today. It's interesting to think of how adolescents has changed over the years. It would be interesting to compare your Granddad to most of our 8th graders.